Lived in Germany for at least eight years? You are entitled to apply for German citizenship… provided you fulfil the following criteria:
- You declare belief in the liberal and democratic order of the constitution.
- You do not receive social security benefits as your main source of income.
- You renounce your existing citizenship – exempting those from the EU and Switzerland and foreign nationals who can prove they would be dealt serious economic harm if they were to renounce their existing citizenship.
- You have no serious criminal record.
- You have command of the German language to at least B1 level.
- You possess sound knowledge of the German legal and social order, proven through successful completion of the Einbürgerungstest (Citizenship Test).