Jacob Appelbaum: Revolutionary times

Thoughts Are Free

Die Gedanken sind frei.
My mind is my treasure
Die Gedanken sind frei.
My thoughts give me pleasure
No scholar can map them
No lawyer can trap them
No one can deny
Die Gedanken sind frei.

Die Gedanken sind frei.
My mind gives me power.
Die Gedanken sind frei.
My thoughts freely flower
Though critics may blame me,
Deride me and shame me
My conscience decrees
I think as I please.

Though they put me on trial
And cast me in prison
My thoughts all the while
Give voice to my vision
Obeying no orders
Respecting no borders
My spirit shall fly
Die Gedanken sind frei.

Thanks, Jake. We'll carry on.

EmmaGoldstein more than 2 years ago

Interview is about him

About being full of himself, you read an interview about him, his life and work and though that the questions you would ask were much better, followed by a very good assertion (you are missing something) and a question about Assange including "world conspiracy", an expression that shows you are both doubting that it is a rigged case and that you are not getting enough read on the subject - there was enough proof even before the Snowden leaks showed this kind of operation is common. Anything Appelbaum could say about Assange's case you would dismiss with "his opinion is not the truth".
Appelbaum is a journalist, if you are after the important questions you should read the reporting that he does. If you read some of Snowden's leaks you would know that they make up "victims" of people they are trying to destroy (like Assange). Look for "How Covert Agents Infiltrate the Internet to Manipulate, Deceive, and Destroy Reputations" on The Intercep.
Calling him a paranoid after all the proof that he is right has been published, some of it by himself, shows only that you chose to be unninformed. That's the exact kind of accusation that is not valid anymore after the Snowden leaks, as he pointed out in this interview.
I suggest you watch "to protect and infect part II" on youtube, it would make you a better person.

Jonathas Fudge more than 2 years ago

Mr. Hayes. I would argue against your comment "Appelbaum comes across as full of himself and paranoid". He is clearly not paranoid - they ARE out to get him, or they wouldn't stop and question him at every airport, or have people spying on his girlfriend with night-vision goggles! And as for "full of himself" - that is the confidence of a man that believes that we, the people, are the ones that hold the power. Don't ever forget that democracy means "the rule of the people". We no longer live in a democracy. We are well aware of the power of corporations to influence politics, and that wars are no longer about protecting peace but about financial gain. if you don't believe these things you are living in a fantasy land.

I'd also like to add that I see so many comments by people like you on the internet, people who are scared of change, that are ready to put down the ideas and confidence of people that are striving for a better world for all so that your can maintain your cosy little existence. Give it up Bill! There will be no more oil under the ground within 20 years (source: Jeremy Rifkin: The Empathic Civilisation/Ross Institute Summer Academy 2010 lecture https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EZv9H62xm0 ) a fact that will seriously disrupt every system on earth. Your cosy existence is going to get very uncomfortable in the not-too-distant future. Wouldn't it be better to start believing in, and working towards, a better future now, rather than putting down those that are?

If you're not going to help, keep your mouth shut and get out of our way!

Theo Van Schopes more than 2 years ago

Excellent interview and a great read.

To me Appelbaum comes across as a free spirit who “asserts his rights and refuses submission.” I guess, just like the interviewer and dozens of other readers, I am buying into it. Does it mean I am open to the point of gullibility? Don’t flatter yourself, Mr. Hayes! Your comment doesn't demonstrate critical thinking. It has more to do with resentment and cynicism, both symptoms of underdeveloped critical faculties.

Elvira more than 2 years ago

Great interview

I enjoyed the interview from A to Z. Bill's comment is as undeserved as it pretentious, aiming at both the message and the messenger in a rather random manner. It seems to me that both confront us with crucial issues regarding the significance of a free press in our Big Brother age (I'm referring to the omnipotent powers of the intelligence agencies) as well as the dilemmas faced by people like Poitras and Greenwald. There's a lot more courage in their position than in Mr Hayes' hackneyed comment. Or was it just too sacrilegious to criticise the Guardian?

Hannah more than 2 years ago

A painfully idolizing portrait

Disappointing read. Appelbaum comes across as full of himself and paranoid to a fault. What’s worse, the interviewer seems to buy into it. Where are the critical questions? I would, for instance, be interested in what the interviewee has to say about the apparent hero Assange’s current ordeal. Or am I missing something: are rape accusations also part of world conspiracy?

And why are Appelbaum's answers treated as if they were unquestionably true? Even the questions themselves state his views as if they were facts. "Last year, you decided to move to Berlin after years of harassment by the US government." Come on! The list goes on: why aren’t the preposterously unbelievable claims regarding Appelbaum’s mom researched? Why isn’t he confronted with his hypocrisy regarding what should and should not be published? He blatantly scathes the Guardian for withholding information from the public, but defends his friends doing the exact same thing.

This looks more like idolization than journalism to me.

Bill Hayes more than 2 years ago