Why so rude?

Glorious

This is it. This is the bible. This is the way to survival. Thank you.

Germanshaevnosoul 5 days ago

Courtesy in Writing!

Is sadly lacking in this piece. The liberal use of expletives does nothing to enhance the theme. Incidentally, having lived in Berlin in the early 90s, and visiting regularly since, it seems that life in the Haupstadt has become less hostile. Moreover, the ability to speak the language and respond in kind is invaluable

John 24 days ago

Right on!

I have been here also about 19 years and your have formulated exactly what frustrates me. That ‘authentic’ thing ruined my last relationship with a German.

Carl 25 days ago

Terrible writing

I really hope you didn't get paid for this article, the quality of the writing is less than stellar. It reads like a word spew, of self-indulgent rambling transcribed. Then you include smatterings of Deutsch to show you are better than the rest of us lowly expats who have not been here for 19 years (you mention that a lot)

expat 28 days ago

Rudeness is relative

Coming from the middle east, I've never understood this 'Berlin-Rudeness' everyone is talking about. For me, people saying hallo and schönen tag noch when you enter and leave a store is already more than enough. No need to be a dick, but also no need to constantly please everyone with smiles and über-friendliness. That would make even the sweetest person cringe.
It feels like your reaction to these regular, everyday people reacting to daily events is a result of politeness being so exaggerated in the UK and not these people's monstrous intentions.
That said, people proud of their 'authenticity' while being assholes suck, but I really haven't met so many of these creatures you talk of. Maybe reevaluate your friend-circle...

AV 29 days ago

To Kent and Ge:

I've been living on Berlin for 19 or 20 years as well (coming from Southern Germany... white male, though) - and yes, I fully share Jacinta's experience. During all my extensive visits to the U.S. I have never experienced similar unfriendlyness as here in Berlin, almost every single day one leaves one's apartment. It's always so surprising if a bus driver - once every other month - replies to you in a polite manner. Also, after having been in Berlin for many years, one is tremendously overwhelmed by how polite and friendly people in other German places such as Munich or Hamburg or Köln or Goslar or whatever are able to be just in normal everyday situations! Thanks, Jacinta.

ijb 29 days ago

Lost in translation

What an appalling article. Badly written, arrogant, bigoted rubbish worthy of the daily mail. If you have really been living here for 19 years and still don’t understand Berliners thats rather a sad reflection on you. Embarrassing.

Kent 30 days ago

London and NYC

If you ever lived in London or NYC you wouldn’t find Berlin so rude 🙄

Ge 30 days ago

Cunty Berliners!

Thank you so much for writing this! Having lived in Berlin for a year now, I needed your perspective. I’m from California and we’re a special brand of warm and friendly. Its a BIG change for me but I’m already making a name for myself in my neighborhood by saying hello to strangers and by making eye contact despite the Berliner resting bitch face/zombie looks I get! If you’re ever up for a chat... I’d love to make fun of grump people with you! ;)

Holly 31 days ago