Why so rude?

PREACH! same story in Amsterdam

Wow. So SO spot on.
Living here in AMS for 3 yrs...have had the cops/lawyer interaction more times than I can count (I’m a coconut- brown outside, white inside)
My boss would get pissed with the politeness too!! Man...I have started to become that rude person...was thinking of moving to Berlin thinking it would be different...maybe back to Canada or London would be a better fit if I want to hold on to my sanity

S 10 days ago

I googled "Berlin rude" only to find out so many articles justifying the rudeness of ppl in Berlin as being directness and that some foreigners recieve it like that falsely as it is just a cultural difference! Enough with this justification.. it is purely rudeness and as the author correctly says they enjoy it! They enjoy that it makes us even feel guilty by thinking that maybe they are right to do so, so we just have to adapt.

KBln 24 days ago

German is fun haha

I'm nasty and sometimes pretend to understand German when somebody speaks to me this language and try to find out how long it takes for them to figure out that I don't. To my surprise Germans are not only not offended, but enjoy the joke. Also happened to me the other side, so good to know I don't need to be bothered too much, if it's exactly a polite thing to do.

Lol 55 days ago

Same experience

I had the same outrageous experience. I am a brazilian woman and, together with my fiancé, have been at the worst place for foreign and tourists of many countries I traveled through the world.
They are mean and rude for free without any signal of mercy, education, empathy or polite behaviour.
If possible, run away.
Go to Portugal or Scotland. They are good.

Natasha 57 days ago

There is an old rule

that says: If you meet an asshole every now and then, you've simply met some assholes. But if you only meet assholes, then *you're* the asshole. Your "outrageous experiences" are just that: You being an outrageous experience.

SouthAmericaSucks 56 days ago

Same experience, though more extreme

Wissam H 129 days ago

The Bible of Berlin!

Honestly this saved me today. You have to remember to not let it get to you. And I loved the writing! And to the other commenters: huns, lighten up—this is an opinion piece not a research paper.

Jonny 173 days ago

The Bible of Berlin!

Jonny 173 days ago

Truth has been spoken

As a german I suppose all those nasty comments have been left by Berliners as they truly drive me just as mad as so beautifully illustrated in your article. Many germans are rude but Berlin is the cherry on top.

Stolz Kein Berliner 208 days ago

Related...

When my beautiful Wife and I were getting married, nearly ten years back, our Daughter (who, by some strange twist in the timeline, hadn't waited until she was legal before being conceived; she was already 5) was at the ceremony. The three of us sat at the official's desk as he *read out* the ceremonial paragraphs binding us. About midway through his spiel, our Daughter said, "Daddy, can I ask a question?" to which the official turned red, took a deep breath and started the spiel, again, from the very top (I bet he touches all the door knobs in the courthouse three times in the morning and five times at night, too). Well, holy hell if Daughter didn't whisper (very shyly, in my ear, in a tiny voice) "But Daddy..." at which point the official exploded. "One more outburst like this," he said, in German, "and there will be no wedding!"

Thank the Gawdz we got through the ceremony and are still happy! There is a bit of a vibe humming under the surface of this town... but I love it more than any other city in the world (been here since fall of '90). You get used to it. And it's better than being randomly shot in the US, even with the American hugs and smiles available (or stabbed in the UK, despite the better biscuits)...!

Steven Augustine 245 days ago

Sad Story!

I feel sorry for your daughter that her father is so full of shit. Why even bother to get married if it's just a "spiel" to you? (Haha, joke crossing the language barrier! He shoots, he scores!) Randomly being shot or stabbed would actually be preferable to reading this kind of bullshit from the entitled, offended-by-everything idiots which populate this page.

StopSharingYourCrap 56 days ago

A sack-of-sh!t above me!

Yet another butthurt Berliner who felt identified by the article and is now lashing out in the comments like a man-child (woman-child?). The only one so full of shit is your parents because they literally shat you out into this world, and school failed to teach you to be anything beyond.

Above Any Berliner 48 days ago

Glorious

This is it. This is the bible. This is the way to survival. Thank you.

Germanshaevnosoul 271 days ago

Courtesy in Writing!

Is sadly lacking in this piece. The liberal use of expletives does nothing to enhance the theme. Incidentally, having lived in Berlin in the early 90s, and visiting regularly since, it seems that life in the Haupstadt has become less hostile. Moreover, the ability to speak the language and respond in kind is invaluable

John 290 days ago

Right on!

I have been here also about 19 years and your have formulated exactly what frustrates me. That ‘authentic’ thing ruined my last relationship with a German.

Carl 291 days ago

Terrible writing

I really hope you didn't get paid for this article, the quality of the writing is less than stellar. It reads like a word spew, of self-indulgent rambling transcribed. Then you include smatterings of Deutsch to show you are better than the rest of us lowly expats who have not been here for 19 years (you mention that a lot)

expat 294 days ago

Rudeness is relative

Coming from the middle east, I've never understood this 'Berlin-Rudeness' everyone is talking about. For me, people saying hallo and schönen tag noch when you enter and leave a store is already more than enough. No need to be a dick, but also no need to constantly please everyone with smiles and über-friendliness. That would make even the sweetest person cringe.
It feels like your reaction to these regular, everyday people reacting to daily events is a result of politeness being so exaggerated in the UK and not these people's monstrous intentions.
That said, people proud of their 'authenticity' while being assholes suck, but I really haven't met so many of these creatures you talk of. Maybe reevaluate your friend-circle...

AV 295 days ago

To Kent and Ge:

I've been living on Berlin for 19 or 20 years as well (coming from Southern Germany... white male, though) - and yes, I fully share Jacinta's experience. During all my extensive visits to the U.S. I have never experienced similar unfriendlyness as here in Berlin, almost every single day one leaves one's apartment. It's always so surprising if a bus driver - once every other month - replies to you in a polite manner. Also, after having been in Berlin for many years, one is tremendously overwhelmed by how polite and friendly people in other German places such as Munich or Hamburg or Köln or Goslar or whatever are able to be just in normal everyday situations! Thanks, Jacinta.

ijb 295 days ago

Lost in translation

What an appalling article. Badly written, arrogant, bigoted rubbish worthy of the daily mail. If you have really been living here for 19 years and still don’t understand Berliners thats rather a sad reflection on you. Embarrassing.

Kent 296 days ago

London and NYC

If you ever lived in London or NYC you wouldn’t find Berlin so rude 🙄

Ge 296 days ago

Cunty Berliners!

Thank you so much for writing this! Having lived in Berlin for a year now, I needed your perspective. I’m from California and we’re a special brand of warm and friendly. Its a BIG change for me but I’m already making a name for myself in my neighborhood by saying hello to strangers and by making eye contact despite the Berliner resting bitch face/zombie looks I get! If you’re ever up for a chat... I’d love to make fun of grump people with you! ;)

Holly 296 days ago

worse then ny

I was born in ny and lived there for most of my childhood and as the article says there has been a shift and a huge improvement in friendliness in ny.

A couple of years back I was delivering pizza on a bike and made a bad turn and flew off the bike into the pavement. First response was all kinds of peple saying hi are you ok. Are you alright. You need help.

I was shocked at how much nicer New York got.

Sadly for Berlin this article is on point.Germans are miserable angry and want you to be like them. I laughed in an amt once. I was just over whelmed and the beamter almost flew across the desk and hit me a stapler.

This article is the bible of berlin. Just like the other comment said.

Here here

livinginberlin 250 days ago

You are right

Adored this post. These German people are horrible.

Iván 212 days ago