Germany is a racist country

Germans are More Than Racist

I’m a white American. At age 24, I moved here to marry my German husband. These people hate ANYONE who isn’t German. Last week I was talking to my Greek friend from my language class in a coffee shop. This oma kept scoffing, glaring, and shaking her head for 30 minutes. I guess after that she had enough – she slammed her newspaper down on the table and left like I just offended her and three generations of her family. I hate anytime I have to go outside my house. Usually when I return home I end up crying over someone yelling at me “Das ist Deutschland!”
I admit, I have not been able to learn the language here in the four months since I’ve arrived. But if I even try to speak German to others, they give me a blank stare and walk away. I feel less than human. I hate it here. It’s so bad that I will probably be divorcing my husband so I can go back to the US to stop this torture.
The minuscule amount of prejudice I’ve experienced here probably pales in compare to nonwhites. I can’t imagine how a nation of people can be so cold and hurtful to a fellow human.

Gigi the Christmas Snake 9 days ago

Germans are racists

I'm on a project for a few months in Bonn Germany and these whites here are the most racist mutherfuckers I have ever had the misfortune to come across. They are also rude. One woman has deliberately coughed on me and told me I brought coronavirus because I'm Black. Another woman, a store clerk slapped my hand off my own debit card when I was trying to pay for Groceries. I hate these White German people. I hate them with a passion. The racism is so overt. So humiliating. So tell your friend from me, that she can go straight to hell.

Germans are racists 12 days ago

Informative and relate-able

So, I will have lived in DE now for more than a decade. I wasn't aware that I could stick out until I moved here. I'm Hispanic (American citizen with Mexican heritage) I've stayed for my German husband mainly. I don't think that what you have written are exaggerations at all and yes, Germany can be a xenophobic and prejudiced country. That said, so is my home country the USA and others. For me, the experience has been a mixture of ups and downs. I've wanted so badly to belong and I've adopted so many traditions. My in-laws and my husband's friends treated me like a mail order bride initially. I learned German right away to be able to communicate. I competed my C1 and actually many Germans, I would say, treat me as any other nowadays. The truth is, I am here as a choice and it has taken me a great deal of time to realize that I CAN leave. It breaks my heart, because I have begun this life with my children and my husband, but I will judge a country by the way it treats its weakest. As a whole, I think Germany tries is best. However, we as immigrants need to understand that Germany is a predominantly homogeneous country - unlike the United States or Canada. It can be very relieving to finally acknowledge the racism. I'm not so sure it's healthy to confront it though. It's not your problem and it's not mine. Racism in Germany is a German problem. Plus, I have actually done this before and you know what? No change. It's ok though, I don't think this country owes me anything, but at the very least safe distance. Distance is a word racists cannot understand, because the source of their energy comes from a dark place or the way the person was educated. I have decided to make the best of of my situation and I am so so grateful my grandparents migrated to the USA. A country I do owe something to. Why? Because, it's where I learned and became tolerant or open. My point is that you ARE right, but some people feel safer in denial. It's ok. We're going to be OK and you're not alone. However, it's time to love Germany. Love conquers ALL! Take care! Stay positive!

PS sorry if I sound a bit rushed, I am.

Andrea 13 days ago

Just some info

In case some people make assumptions, I have graduated university with a business major, speak 3 languages, and have worked with Germans. So, if you think you've got me all figured out, you haven't. 😊

Andrea 13 days ago

Germans are racists

Nonsense. Just because they are a homogeneous country doesn't mean they should act like animals and now show human respect. And you Hispanics are also anti-Black. Without Black people in America fighting for your civil rights, a lot of you who are immigrants will be deported. Germans are as racist as White Americans are but no white Americans has ever coughed on me and accuse me of bringing coronavirus to Germany. I'm only here for a few months but I've endured much racism in 3 weeks in Germany than anywhere else in the world. They're nasty, uncivilised people. Now I get why Hitler is German and was able to get away with his crimes for many years . Trump is also German. Nasty group of people

Hateracists 12 days ago

Germans are racists

Hateracists 12 days ago

About Ego and Racism

Sorry, but you are racist , too : „ ...her pink german skin..“ !!! I am german and I had never pink skin...vica versa!! And: you only go what you „experienced“, very selfish, the same like racists do...but: the racism you talk about has nothing to do with a nation, it has to so with HUMAN BEINGS!! With a person decision not (!) to be negative because of bad personal experiences!! You are the same as Sarrazin!! I met him once.The only reason he became so negative and racist were personal bad experiences with Muslims! So: you are the same as Sarrazin! A big Ego makes people to racists. Everywhere in the world...

Anna 34 days ago

Germans are racists

You have pink, wrinkled skin. A lot of you age from age 15. You are hateful inside and outside looks hateful. Your skin is pink not white.

Hateracists 12 days ago

Cue the defensive comments from Germans.

It never ceases to amaze me how people from a dominant culture can read an article that makes perfectly true and valid criticisms of that culture, and instead of reflecting on how they can do better, they just defend and deflect. Really sad and unproductive. White people in my country are the same way.

And, Jacinta, you're really funny.

Shaunessy 35 days ago

Agreed

I agree , but „pink German skin got even whiter“ sounds racist as fuck to me. Check Urself as well as Germany.

Leon 36 days ago

20 years oO

You are living in this country since 20 years and are still not able to write an article in German? Just the fact that you can get away with such an absurd thing is proof that this country can't be that racist.

Bastin 36 days ago

Where is your common sense?

This is an English website. Articles on English websites tend to be written in English.

Duh?

Maybe you should actually engage with the premise of the article instead of trying to make yourself sound smart?

Jeremy 36 days ago

Presumptuous much?

Articles on English websites tend to be written in English. Her writing in English here is hardly proof that she doesn't speak German.

Duh?

You might want to watch the xenophobic assumptions in the comment section on an article about racism and xenophobia. The irony is a bit over the top.

I also doubt you would have reacted differently to this article if it had been written in German anyway, especially since there are numerous articles written on a regular basis with the same premises.

Jeremy 36 days ago

baby vs bathwater

erm, this bit: "It's not racist for the police to assume Turkish people are criminals, if a lot of the criminals they deal with on a daily basis are Turkish" - this is an example you use to demonstrate racist thinking, right? but isn't it the same deduction you use for calling all germans racist? because you have examples in the press, or daily life, of some germans being racist, and therefore all are?

i'm not sure if two wrongs make a right. i don't think the example you use of leitkultur is fair either. it sounds to me like a pretty bleak interpretation of the idea that trying to set a good example/doing the right thing is an implied inherent demonisation of everyone else, or their behaviour.

I agree, we can do better. but as rihanna says: the only way through this is working together. we can ALL do better, no? rather than using an us vs. them approach, or a polarising term like racism, why not show how people can better include each other? if you can include yourself as a non-german german who chose to be here, than why not include other "non-ethnic" people as examples of non-racism?

instantly aligning those having fear of the other with hardcore racists strengthens the right wing hordes and totally alienates people to a colour-based way of thinking. "no matter what i say, i'll be racist because my skin is white". sound familiar? you can't tell a fair skinned kid with "ethnic" parents or friends that she hasn't experienced the racist treatment of people she loves, and therefore will always remain the enemy! YES many white people have avoided experiencing racism (privilege) and unwittingly absorbed racist tropes and behaviours. but why not encourage those people who want to do right, by raising each other up?

Of course there are attitudes behind closed doors, and this evolves from a culture of tradition fearing outsider intervention, as exists in all ethnicities– across asia, europe, the middle east. of course there are those that fear change and irrationally reject the other, simply because it's not "how it has always been". I don't think that this automatically equates as implying other races are lesser or worse, purely based upon colour.

No, i am not dark skinned. but i can assure you, just as between different castes in india, or different tribes of africa, there are white folk who experience exclusion based on their perceived "otherness". (they usually think i'm spanish, tbh)

exploiting differences between people is still the most simple way to keep the masses fighting each other, rather than improving a society for the benefit of all. perceived racism is one of many injustices that i think we could improve more actively by abandoning "call-out" culture for one of celebrating positive individuals and practices. instead of giving more oxygen to the afd etc, why not have massive rants about over-worked carers, teachers or female muslim clerics that have united and inspired communities?

don't let the bastards grind you down

herr james 37 days ago

*bath ring

furthermore, i'm gonna dig in deeper by saying the obvious – most racism i've experienced has been by one ethnicity toward the other. turks about arabs, koreans about chinese, prenzlbergers about schwabians... i think people should be able to have friendly rivalries and a sense of humour about their differences as a means to dialogue, which ultimately defuses tension and allows people to get to know each other. how do you think trump, brexit or afd happen? lack of acceptance and demonisation of slightly dodgy thinking, pushes people experiencing perfectly normal thoughts of exclusion or fear or random irrational perceived injustice toward REAL assholes who actually want to manipulate them into doing really shitty things to others. america never learned from the manson family, so they got trump. lets all learn from germany's past and instead help each "other" out when we recognise troubled thoughts, and y'know... lead the way ;)

herr james 37 days ago

*ring around the tub

furthermore, i'm gonna dig in deeper by saying the obvious – most racism i've experienced has been by one ethnicity toward the other. turks about arabs, koreans about chinese, prenzlbergers about schwabians... i think people should be able to have friendly rivalries and a sense of humour about their differences as a means to dialogue, which ultimately defuses tension and allows people to get to know each other. how do you think trump, brexit or afd happen? lack of acceptance and demonisation of slightly dodgy thinking, pushes people experiencing perfectly normal thoughts of exclusion or fear or random irrational perceived injustice toward REAL assholes who actually want to manipulate them into doing really shitty things to others. america never learned from the manson family, so they got trump. lets all try to learn from germany's past, and instead help each "other" out when we recognise troubled thoughts, and y'know... lead the way ;)

herr james 37 days ago

Typical Excuses

Your long-winded and uninsightful comments are perfectly demonstrative of the problem. You want to talk about social problems in countries other than Germany (which aren't relevant in this context), but newsflash: biases that people in Prenzlauer Berg have against Schwabians are not the same as the generations long and institutionalized animus toward Turkish people and non white immigrants. It’s also very telling that you have the hubris to believe that you as a white person are the expert on the prevalence of racism in society. How many articles are written every week about discrimination and club entrances, gyms, by the justice system, etc? But you know better.

Also, conflating the police dismissing multiple neo-Nazi murders as gang related for no evidentiary based reason other than the fact that the victims were Turkish, is hardly comparable to claiming that a white society with a history of ethnic-based genocides is largely comprised of racists. That comparison is intellectually bankrupt and plainly made in bad faith.

You claim you don’t want to do divide people, but your misguided and self-serving version of "unity" seems to be based on the fiction that pointing out racist behavior and the damage that is caused by the perpetual ignorance of the white majority is the source of problems, instead of the ignorance and racist behavior themselves.

Yes, there is a reason why white people should be called out specifically for their racism, and no it isn’t to hurt their feelings. It’s because they hold all of the institutional power, and they are the ones most likely to be seduced by particular (racist) ideologies. It’s a shame that you’re more concerned with white people getting their feelings hurt as a result of them or their behavior being called racist, then you are about the people of color who keep getting murdered as a result of their racist indifference to the plight of their countrymen (and/or immigrants) who aren’t white.

There is a lot of utter ignorance among Europeans about their colonial history, and most don’t even know that the precursors to the German death camps were used on victims of African genocides against the Herero and Nama peoples, both of which were carried out by the Germans decades before the Holocaust. There is this very prevalent mentality that since the Holocaust all racism in Germany ended, which is patently absurd and false. If white Germans actually care about these problems and want real change, they’ll stop trying to talk over the people who point them out and rationalize their way out of accountability with deflections and excuses.

You should read this book by Beverly D’Angelo called White Fragility. She analyzes the rhetorical patterns in discussions with white people on racism within a US context. There’s also a great article about in Der Zeit (for a German context), but I honestly have the impression that you’re more interested in trying to talk over people who speak about racism in German society.

Jeremy 37 days ago

natron oder essig?

first off, calm the farm, man. making a few observations in a comment section by no-means proclaims one an expert on racism in society. oof! breathe chile...

i did make the error of using the term "all" when criticising the author's example. she did clearly speak of a majority of germans "probably" being racist, which could in fact be true. i do stand by the sentiment that making generalisations about a whole group based on behaviour of some members of that group to be making the same error, but majority could indeed be right.

other than that, jeremy you prove my point entirely. by stating i am not dark-skinned, i by no means implied i'm white, but that's your perceived battle line. and i don't think that's working– for people in germany or anywhere right now, tbh. in fact it seems to be working well for the other side: those that seek division and destruction of multicultural societies.

while it doesn't at all excuse racism to say it also happens elsewhere, or in other cultures, isn't it relevant to examine this as a human problem, rather than argue as if we could just call out white racism in germany, we'll fix the problem and that's that? this isn't intended as deflection or excuse, but if there is an ethnicity you could give me with no evidence of poor treatment of it's "other", (tribes, neighbours, or own people, for that matter) i'm dying to hear it.

germany certainly takes ownership of it's past failings to a greater degree than many other nations, but as you observe: this alone does not erase racism. so what would you suggest? if my suggestion of "self-serving unity" is so offensive, perhaps you'd care to offer an alternative? because blame culture aint working, unless your aim is to divide.

and i don't know where i mentioned wanting to talk about social problems in other countries? i mentioned fear of the other as occuring in ethnicities across continents... but sure, your american book-club recommendation is probably waaay more insightful about german racism– or at least as you frame it: a whites-only problem of fragility.

ps. if someone could delete that double-post i'd appreciate it. because: y'know off-white fragility

herr james 37 days ago

Your Hubris Knows No Boundaries

So you made a point of mentioning what skin-color you aren’t, but it’s me perceiving the fact that your own perception of reality is directly to your skin color? If you say so homie. So what “race” are you, if you’re not dark-skinned and not white? Why not just say what you are (or are perceived to be) instead of engaging in rhetorical tap dancing so you can jump back and pretend you weren’t begging the question from the beginning? Why bring it up at all? Your bad faith motivations are floating to the surface again . . . . .

The breakdown of multi-cultural societies (in the West currently) is the result of indignant white people who are more content to blame impoverished migrants and minorities for their woes, than the white plutocrats who are the actual source of their immiseration. The attempt to flip the script and point the finger at the people who call out their hypocrisy and racism isn’t going to cut it.

The acknowledgment of recurring phenomena as human problems does not have to include blatant attempts at minimization and deflection. Conversations about racist dynamics in other contexts should occur in their own right and with a sincere desire to analyze and address these problems, not as a transparent attempt to shift focus away from the society or nation under discussion.

And no, Germany does not take ownership of its past mistakes in anything other than symbolic ways, as is demonstrated by the stubborn indignation of officials when confronted with the the many instances of institutionalized racism that have been in the public eye over the past decades. Saying they’re sorry for the Holocaust, while simultaneously electing a party as blatantly xenophobic as the AfD is hardly indicative of some great culture of reflection and tolerance.

My suggestion would be to have honest conversations about the nature of racism and to work on reeducating the Mehrheitsgesellschaft so that immigrants and non white Germans are more included in society, instead of whinging about the “blame culture” the white majority has no problem with when they’re utilizing misleading crime stats to demonize minorities and refugees. It can be a painful experience to become sensitized to prejudices that have long been reinforced, but there’s no avoiding that. It will require a lot of self-reflection and integrity, but again, not hurting white peoples’ feelings should not prioritized over the safety of minorities.

My mention of Beverly D’Angelo was because many of your “arguments” are analyzed in great detail in her book, and her Zeit interview is expressly about Germany. Also, I mentioned that countless articles are written about racism in Germany about 5 paragraphs before that comment. But let’s not let the actual facts get in the way of your smugness. You could check out Alice Hasters book on racism, but you won't. You just want the last word. Pro Tip: Stop saying “chile” if you’re not black while making insensitive statements about racism. It's not cute.

Jeremy 36 days ago