Among whites: Biodeutsche and their privileges

Mmmmmmeh

Why would you republish this now? Firstly, I completely agree with the others in the comments section who claim that they have experienced Germans being rude to them for not knowing German. No matter the skin color. Honestly, I will always be an immigrant, anywhere in the world. And in many places they would expect me to speak the local language. It is completely fine.

Secondly, "Germany is 20-30 years behind the US"..Seriously? I lived in both, Germany and US, and I hope it will never ever become like US. The interviewer points it out well - US has the worst institutionalized racism in the world. And I am definitely not buying the answer to that question.

Thais 53 days ago

Is this a new phrase? 'biodeutsche', and are you serious?

'When a Biodeutscher comes to me and complains about imported anti-Semitism, I say two things: “My grandpa wasn't a Nazi. Watch yourself. '

I had to comment. It's a really interesting article. But 'Biodeutscher ' ? isn't it rather ' categorical'? There seems to be an inherent contradiction between what you're referring to and what you dismiss. Not trying to be clever here. I'm really interested in this because so many people just dismiss or react to people with categorical terms and it seems, I mean: ' biodeutscher'... are you serious? that's actually a term being used In germany? (I don't live there). But my grandmother's parents were both born there. So it's interesting. My grandparents weren't in Germany during WW2 either, and left for elsewhere (NZ) in the 1870s, so I could say the same.

Katrina Wood 61 days ago

correction..

...I mean my great grandparents left from Germany in 1870s.

Katrina Wood 61 days ago

Nope

Aint buying it.
I'm American and had the same experience many times when i first moved here....."Learn German".

And why not!? Its GERMANY ffs. The response would be exactly the same in the US...."Learn English!"

Germany isnt the US. I think this race comparison is totally stupid.

Dave Cohen more than 3 years ago

over it

ok, there's several issues in play here.

what is most annoying is the constant anacdotal "this happened to me / a migrant I know once..." stories. this doesn't paint an accurate picture of general german behaviour. yes, there are definitely racists/ racist attitudes in berlin– i'd imagine i'd get some strange looks and funny treatment if i went to a country where my appearance wasn't among the majority either. i did when i got to berlin, and i expect it'll take a while before i'm fully culturally accepted, if at all.

the second is this attitude that germany MUST accept and shelter people, whilst we all check "our privilege". i'm sorry, but how's the society in syria going? why aren't refugees living in hungary? oh because they ALSO receive privileges by being in berlin/germany. for which we ALL should be grateful. no, i'm not fleeing a dictatorship, but i still was harrassed, bashed and excluded in my home country, and the next country i lived in despite being white. it doesn't always get you free entry into a world of fair treatment.

the reason i and many others came to berlin, migrant or expat, is for a better life. i was attracted by the comparitively advanced cultural attitudes, the affordable living costs. and i am still working as a careworker, struggling and stressing about my level of german 5 years later.

please stop seeing this as a black and white issue. it is as much about you taking the consideration to learn about another culture as a migrant, as it is for the host country to learn about the migrant. descending to name calling or criticising a superior attitude from those in a country which offers shelter to others less fortunate, is like being invited to someone's house for dinner and criticising the decor. the racists and resentful people here have worked to build this society which supports refugees. they have experienced wars and migration for a long time and ANY culture experiencing migration takes some time to learn and accept others as not being a potential threat.

any german will tell you they have earned this "privilege" culture through a lot of hard work, mistakes, suffering and rettribution. maybe in 50 years syria or other middle eastern regions will experience a change in their fundamentalist / extremist societies that make them more attractive to outsiders, and you can sit back in a cafe and discuss the influx of young white people looking for a better life.

until then, i suggest you realise that EVERYONE HAS SOMETHING GOING ON. no one's life can be compared and war is horrible, but this is not germany's fault for offering refuge. the blame and consideration for the poor treatment of syrians lies with the syrian regime. perhaps spend more time working against educating people about changing this before you go around the world pointing out the limitations of other cultures offering charity.

and ffs get over the comparison to america! germany –and i hope no other country either –will ever be the (formerly) usa.

herr james more than 3 years ago

okay, so not true.
I am from New York and lived in Berlin for 7 years. OBVIOUSLY the Germans working at the bank were rude to me and wanted me to speak German, it's not a race thing, it's a German thing. They want everyone living in Germany to speak German, regardless of where they are from. They are rude to everyone, regardless of where they are from. I started learning German ASAP and that's the only reason I ever had any success with the Germans.

C more than 3 years ago

a little dumb

yes, the guy's a little dumb.. .or looking for attention and book royalties. You can do better Ex-Berliner!

Stella more than 3 years ago