On September 14, 16 and 18 October 25, 27 and 29, as well as December 10, 11 and 13.
REFLUX presents three different artists and composers from almost all continents on nine evenings in September, October and December.
Each evening, three concert parts of 30-40 minutes each will be performed: two contemporary positions and one classical. The festival will take place across a network of nine venues around Berlin.
The programme will be adapted to the acoustic and spatial characteristics of each venue. Some works are even specially composed for these venues, and will be a balanced mixture of composition commissions/premieres, as well as existing and rarely heard classics.
REFLUX tries to cover the entire stylistic range of electro-acoustic music. This includes acousmatic & electronic music, musique concrète, field recordings, drone, noise, ambient, plunderphonics, minimalism, spectral music, electronica, industrial and much more! The musicians invited by the artistic festival directors Ignaz Schick and Werner Dafeldecker each have their own individual sound and formal language and are rarely heard in Berlin. You can expect established artists as well as rarities and new discoveries.
On the opening evening, Pierre Berthet will present his interactive installation “Musical Chairs”, consisting of sound-producing chairs, and his piece “Expirateur” using modified vacuum-cleaners. In an interactive installation performance, the Belgian artist together with the audience trigger different and surprising sounds, by interacting with the chairs. In “Expirateur”, the vacuum-cleaners themselves become part of the show!
The opening night of the REFLUX will also see three pieces by the New Zealand composer Douglas Lilburn performed. Turntablist and sound artist Katsura Mouri, who hails from Japan, treats the turntable like an instrument, using the amplified hum produced by the machine’s motor to offer exciting, high-intensity sound art performances. With the aim of creating her own unique sounds, she made her own record players out of plaster.
- Artists: Pierre Berthet (BE), Mario Bertoncini (IT), Charo Calvo (ES), Martina Claussen (AT), Delia Derbyshire (GB), Lawrence English (AUS), Luc Ferrari (FR), Beatriz Ferreyra (ARG), Annette Vande Gorne (BE), Jasmine Guffond (AUS), Roland Kayn (DE), Diane Labrosse (CAN), Douglas Lilburn (NZ), Francisco López (ES), Sachiko M (JP), Lasse Marhaug (NO), Katsura Mouri (JP), Sean Meehan (US), Rie Nakajima (JP), Jérôme Noetinger (FR), Charlemagne Palestine (US), Bernard Parmegiani (FR), Josef Anton Riedl (DE), Rainer Riehn (DE), Philip Samartzis (AUS), Tomoko Sauvage (JP), Valerio Tricoli (IT).
- Festival venues: Amerika-Gedenkbibliothek, Kleiner Wasserspeicher, KM28, Kulturraum Zwinglikirche, Museum Kesselhaus Herzberge, Spreehalle, St. Elisabeth-Kirche, Theater im Delphi, Uferstudios.
- Opening concert: 14.09.2022 at 8 pm, admission from 7.30 pm, St. Elisabeth Church, Invalidenstraße 3 in 10115 Berlin Mitte
- Programme: Works by Pierre Berthet (B), Douglas Lilburn (NZ), Katsura Mouri (JAP)
- With: Pierre Berthet, Werner Dafeldecker, Katsura Mouri
- Admission: €15, concession €10, Festival Pass €90, concession €60 – box office only
REFLUX is a production of www.zangimusic.wordpress.com